Complete Guide to Jungfraujoch Weather
With an average temperature of -7.9 °C, Jungfraujoch is covered in blissful snow throughout the year. The Jungfraujoch is located at 3,454 meters above sea level and is located in the Bernese Oberland region. Read on to find out more about Jungfraujoch weather conditions and when is the best time to visit the region.
Jungfraujoch Weather Details
Average temperature: -7°C (19.4°F)
Warmest month: July (3.1°C)
Coldest Month: February (-10.5°C)
Longest Days: June (Average daylight: 15h and 46min)
Shortest Days: December (Average daylight: 8h and 39min)
Altitude: 3,454 meters above sea level
Maximum wind speed: 267.5 KM/H
The summer season in Jungfraujoch lasts from June to August. July is the hottest month and the average temperature can briefly climb above sub-zero to a more pleasant 3.1°c. Summer is also ideal for going on hikes and gives you a better chance to see the panoramic view of the different peaks surrounding Jungfraujoch.
During fall, the temperature in Jungfraujoch slowly starts to drop, bidding farewell to the summer months and slowly welcoming the winter. Jungfraujoch's fall season is from September to November. The temperature slowly drops with each passing month, with an average low temperature of -5°C in September, -7°C in October, and -12°C in November.
The winter season starts at the end of November and goes on to February. During the winter season, the temperature in Jungfraujoch can drop to -15°C. Winter months also come with plenty of activities at Jungfraujoch. Ski enthusiasts can enjoy the Jungfrau ski region while other activities like sledding, winter hiking, and ziplining are also popular among tourists.
Sprint in Jungfraujoch lasts from early March to May. The temperature during these months starts to slowly increase with -14°C in March, -7°C in April, and just -2°C in May. During spring, the Jungfraujoch region can be quite cloudy and you can miss out on the majestic views from the Sphinx Observation Deck and the Glacier Plateau.
Best Time to Visit Jungfraujoch
June to August is the ideal time to visit Jungfraujoch because it is the best time for hiking and other activities. However, this is also the busiest period because so many tourists descend to enjoy the pleasant weather and activities.
Season 1 is the best time to go if you want to avoid the crowds, which is between September and May. However, keep in mind that some attractions, like the Snow Fun Park, will be closed during this season.
Jungfraujoch Weather by Month
- January: In Jungfraujoch, Switzerland, January is just as bitterly cold as December, with daily highs and lows ranging from -15.7°C (3.7°F) to -9.7°C (14.5°F).
- February: The final month of winter in Jungfraujoch is February, which is another severe winter month with an average temperature that ranges from -16.4°C (2.5°F) to -10.5°C (13.1°F). February is the coldest month at Jungfraujoch.
- March: March, the first month of spring, is quite chilly in Jungfraujoch, Switzerland, with an average temperature that ranges from -9.4°C (15.1°F) to -15.1°C (4.8°F). The average high temperature in March is extremely frosty -9.4°C (15.1°F ), which is almost the same as in February.
- April: Similarly to March, April is a cold spring month, with average temperatures ranging from -7°C (19.4°F) to -12.7°C (9.1°F).
- May: May is the final month of spring in Jungfraujoch. The average maximum temperature at Jungfraujoch rises slightly from a subzero cold -7°C (19.4°F) in April to a still subzero cold -2.5°C (27.5°F) in May.
- June: June is the first month of the summer with temperatures in the range of an average high of 0.8°C (33.4°F) and an average low of -4.9°C (23.2°F). In June, the average high temperature slightly rises from a subzero -2.5°C (27.5°F) to a more pleasant 0.8°C (33.4°F).
- July: During July, the weather in Jungfraujoch is likely to rise above sub-zero levels with an average temperature fluctuating between -2.3°C (27.9°F) and 3.1°C (37.6°F). July is the warmest month in Jungfraujoch, with temperatures reaching 3.1°C (37.6°F).
- August: August is the last month of summer with an average temperature that ranges from 3°C (37.4°F) to -2.2°C (28°F). The average high temperature in August is essentially the same as in July.
- September: In September, the first month of fall in Jungfraujoch, temperatures range from -4.8°C (23.4°F) to 0.3°C (32.5°F) on average.
- October: The average temperature in October in Jungfraujoch varies between -2.3°C (27.9°F) and -7.5°C (18.5°F), making it a cold fall month. The average high temperature in October is comparable to that in September.
- November: November is the last month of fall with an average temperature varying between -6.9°C (19.6°F) and -12.3°C (9.9°F). The average high temperature in November slightly decreases from -2.3°C (27.9°F)
- December: December is the first month of winter in Jungfraujoch and the temperature starts to drop compared to previous months. The average temperature fluctuates between -8.9°C (16°F) and -14.7°C (5.5°F).
Book Your Tickets to Jungfraujoch
Frequently Asked Questions About Jungfraujoch Weather
The warmest month in Jungfraujoch is July, with an average high of 3.1°C.
June has the longest days of the year, with an average of 15h and 46min of daylight.
The most humid month in Jungfraujoch is May, with an average relative humidity of 77.9%
The coldest month in Jungfraujoch is February, with temperatures ranging between -10.5°C (13.1°F) and -16.4°C
If you are interested in summer activities then the best time to visit the Jungfraujoch will be between June and September. If you are interested in skiing or other winter activities, you can visit Jungfraujoch between February and March.